If you are living overseas and want to work in New Zealand you must:
- be a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand Residence Permit holder or,
- be an Australian citizen or an Australian resident who holds a current Australian Resident Return Visa or,
- have lawful authority to work in New Zealand which includes a Work Permit with conditions that allow the holder to work in the position applied for or,
- have a variation of condition to a Visitor or Student Permit that allows such work.
People in New Zealand on a Working Holiday Scheme Permit are not permitted to take up permanent employment.
Find out how to qualify to live in New Zealand please visit the Immigration New Zealand website – www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopportunities
The process for obtaining a Work Permit is best explained by looking at the Department of Labour Immigration New Zealand website at www.immigration.govt.nz
Other useful links
- Use the Quickcheck tools to see if you can apply to move to New Zealand as a skilled migrant: www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/caniapply/quickcheck.htm
- How to apply for a visa and a work permit: www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/moreaboutvisas
- Find out the requirements for citizenship and how to apply: www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/alreadyinnz/residents/becomingacitizen/