Website Greater Wellington Regional Council
Are you passionate about protecting our environment and looking for an exciting and rewarding role? Do you want to play an important part in protecting Greater Wellington’s region from the exotic plants threatening our parks, reserves, wetlands and other environments?
We are looking for an Upper Hutt-based Biosecurity Field Operator – Pest Plants to help us protect these environments as we continue to make progress on the implementation of Greater Wellington’s Regional Pest Management Plan. The role is also be involved in surveying and controlling pest plants in some of the regions highest valued biodiversity sites and regional parks.
Skills and experience required:
- Working experience in controlling pest plants and / or relevant experience in a related biosecurity / biodiversity field
- Willing to handle and apply hazardous substances, including the ability to obtain appropriate certification as required
- Physically fit, and to be able to work and navigate in a range of outdoor situations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word programmes (experience in GPS and GIS systems an advantage)
- Strong team work ethic with experience working in a small team, but also possess an ability and a willingness to work autonomously
- Current full licence to drive a car (quad or LUV riding experience an advantage)
You will also need excellent people skills, especially when dealing with landowners, community groups and stakeholders. Being organised with a desire for doing the job right the first time are also key requirements.
We provide a diverse range of benefits including working options that help our staff balance their own lifestyle and needs with their work commitments. We’re also all about growing our people through professional development and experience across everything the council does.
To apply for this position please view the job description and apply with a cover letter and CV via the link below.
For further information on the role contact Mark McAlpine, Team Leader Pest Plants (Acting) on 021 564 502.
Applications close: Friday, 14 August 2020.
Only people with the right to work in New Zealand may apply for this position. For advice on obtaining a New Zealand work or residence visa, please visit www.immigration.govt.nz
To apply for this job please visit careers.gw.govt.nz.