Website Nelmac Kūmānu
At Nelmac Kūmānu, we believe it’s our responsibility to do all we can to protect, renew and enhance nature – not just for our collective benefit now, but to meet our shared moral obligation to improve our environmental legacy for future generations.
We have opportunities for Trainee Rangers to join our Marlborough team, to carry out important conservation work on significant natural areas within the region, providing opportunities to gain an entry or field-based experience in conservation, the opportunity to further develop skills in environmental capability and to develop and foster your conservation knowledge.
You’ll carry out a range of conservation activities including weed control, re-vegetation planting, wilding conifer control and animal pest control. This is a hands-on physical role, suitable for someone who has an enthusiasm to work in the outdoors. You’ll work in a range of weather conditions; you’ll be trained to use chainsaws, scrub cutters and powered drills on the job. You’ll gain skills in herbicide application.
Ideally you’ll have:
- A current driver’s license with the ability to drive manual vehicles
- An interest in gaining skills in animal and plant pest control
- A good level of health and safety awareness
- A positive attitude to achieving productive work targets
- Comfort with working in forest/wetland and coastal environments in a rural area, with limited cellphone coverage.
- Enjoy working co-operatively and be a reliable member of a close-knit team.
And even better if you have:
- Experience using chainsaws, hand tools, and light machinery, ideally with NZQA credits
- An understanding of pest plant identification
- Some understanding of ArcGIS would also be beneficial.
We’d love to hear from you if you have a passion for conservation; love working outdoors, are physically fit, energetic and enthusiastic.
In return, we will provide:
- Workplace training, education, practical skills and personal development in the management and care of our environment in partnership with landowners and stakeholders
Please note that applicants must have a current full drivers’ licence, NZ residency/citizenship or a valid NZ work visa and will be required to undergo pre-employment medical and drug screening, background and ACC checks.
How to apply
Please apply through our website on the Nelmac careers page (www.nelmac.co.nz/careers) with your CV and cover letter.
If you have any questions regarding the role or would like a copy of the position description please email: email@example.com
Applications close: Friday, 8 October 2021.
All applications will be treated in confidence.
To apply for this job please visit nelmac.elmotalent.co.nz.