Website EcoQuest Education Foundation
The EcoQuest Education Foundation Te Rarangahau Taiao (EcoQuest) is seeking a field leader at our field centre near Kaiaua.
EcoQuest is looking for a dynamic, experienced person to support the delivery of our academic field study programmes. We offer semester-long programmes in ecology, resource management and environmental policy to undergraduate students from the U.S. Our residential field centre is in Whakatiwai (an hour south-east of Auckland), and from there we make frequent and often extended field trips to both terrestrial and marine environments throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.
The four main parts to the role of field leader are to:
- provide logistical support to the programme;
- give instruction and guidance in technical skills required for students to carry out field work;
- in a team setting, facilitate the day-to-day activities;
- in a team setting, look after the well-being of students (pastoral care).
We are seeking someone with an undergraduate degree in environmental sciences or closely related field, who has a proven experience in group leadership and management in the outdoors, preferably with young adults.
Ideally, the successful applicant will have the following strengths:
- proven ability in fostering healthy group dynamics;
- ability to work effectively and supportively in a team;
- have a commitment to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and be willing and able to work within Te Ao Māori
- proven experience in a variety of field skills and ecological monitoring techniques;
- sound knowledge of biota of Aotearoa New Zealand;
- ability to give guidance or instruction in general outdoor safety, basic kayaking, and snorkelling to enable students to carry out field work (not an outdoor pursuit focus);
- sound working knowledge of current risk management practices;
- efficient, practical and organised;
- confident, safe driver (vans and trailers);
- current outdoor first aid certificate;
- interest in education for sustainability.
We seek applicants who are keen to join an interdisciplinary team working and living with undergraduate students. You must be prepared to be away from home for extended periods, and to work some weekends.
The hours for the position are negotiable between 80% and full-time.
EcoQuest Education Foundation is registered as a Charitable Entity. Current programmes are offered in partnership with the University of New Hampshire (USA) www.ecoquest.org
How to Apply
Given the New Zealand Government current border restrictions, we can only welcome applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates who currently reside in Aotearoa.
Email applications to email@example.com attn: Jono Clark (Director). Subject: Vacancy/Field Leader/Application.
Please provide a CV and cover letter with your application.
Applications close: 5.00pm Friday, 5 November 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.