Website Gisborne District Council
Gisborne District Council is working together with our communities to make our aspirations happen. We are the proud winners of the 2019 LGNZ Excellence Awards, celebrating local councils who are working to promote and grow the well-being of their communities.
Tairawhiti is the first place to see the light and we’re transforming our region to be the first choice for people and lifestyle, the first place for environment, economy and culture. Our region is dynamic, with great schools, a stunning outdoor environment and a thriving and diverse community. We have a rare opportunity for a professional to join us in a much sought-after role.
Do you have a passion for developing and delivering leading catchment management, biodiversity and biosecurity programmes? Are you a leader with a strong capability to build and maintain relationships and engagement with our key stakeholders including our Tangata Whenua? Then this could be the career-step you’ve been looking for.
We are seeking an exceptional individual to join our Liveable Communities Hub. This high performing individual will manage the Integrated Catchment section to deliver proactive and effective water catchment, biodiversity and biosecurity programmes across the region.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Advanced leadership and management skills.
- A tertiary degree or post graduate qualification in Environmental Science, Biological Sciences, Geography, Geology or appropriate science discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years post graduate experience in leading professional teams and in a senior management position.
- Minimum of 10 years post graduate experience in contract procurement as well as contract management of professional and contract resources.
- Sound and up‑to‑date knowledge of relevant legislation, including the Resource Management Act, Local Government Act, Biosecurity Act, Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. It is expected that this position will need to front highly contentious issues from time to time. This will include at public meetings and interviews with media.
- Extensive and effective experience working with tangata whenua and communities towards improvement of land, water and ecological quality.
Candidates will require experience of local government, extensive project management of major capital infrastructure with Wastewater experience being advantageous. Track record of delivering projects on time on budget and delivering a fully operational asset to the operations team. They will need to have strong leadership abilities and have the ability to work in a complex and politically sensitive environment.
In return, we offer you an engaging and rare career opportunity in a forward thinking, contemporary workplace. We have a supportive senior leadership team that truly lives our values of Piritahi Tairawhiti. Our climate, lifestyle and environment has put the Tairawhiti region on the map. We look forward to meeting candidates who are committed to providing excellent service and quality outcomes to the Tairawhiti Region.
Please contact Andrew White for further information. Relocation support may be considered for our successful applicant.
Apply Online www.gdc.govt.nz
Applications close: 10am, Monday 20 February 2020.
To apply for this job please visit gdcgovt-openhire.silkroad.com.