Website Island Conservation
Island Conservation (IC) is a science-driven, global, non-profit organisation dedicated to preventing extinctions and protecting island ecosystems. In collaboration with regional partners, IC designs and implements conservation projects that ensure native species protection and demonstrate cutting-edge invasive species removal techniques. Learn more about us at www.islandconservation.org.
We are seeking a talented and motivated individual to serve as an Island Restoration Specialist in the South and West Pacific. The successful applicant will play a key role in working with communities, governments and other partners across the Pacific to identify opportunities and plan and deliver invasive species eradication projects. The Island Restoration Specialist will also be expected to train people in order to develop local capacity, write reports and grant proposals, represent Island Conservation publicly in various forums, keep records, and collect, maintain and analyze data. The successful applicant must have a strong commitment to Island Conservation’s mission, have impeccable integrity, possess exceptional people skills, and possess a keen sense of humour. The ability to be an adaptable, enthusiastic and positive member of a motivated team is critical.
The position will report to the Head of Operations – South & West Pacific and work closely with other members of Island Conservation’s South and West Pacific Team. The Island Restoration Specialist may be based in Polynesia, Micronesia or in New Zealand. The position requires extensive travel with extended periods of time away from the duty station, often times in remote and rustic conditions.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
- A willingness and ability to spend significant time in the field away from home. Field deployments can run from 1 week to 6 weeks or longer.
- An ethic of service and/or conservation to benefit the natural world and people.
- Demonstrates effective learning as part of everyday practice and assists peers to learn effectively from experience.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Passport, or willingness to apply for a passport.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to extract and summarize information into written form from a broad range of sources.
- Position requires excellent organisational skill, ability to work independently, ability to solve problems with limited supervision, and the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to follow directions and delegate tasks when necessary
- Basic computer skills including experience with Word, Excel, Windows, Outlook.
- Ability to perform data entry into spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to coordinate field logistics, supervise and train interns/technicians/partners to collect field data.
- Ability to perform efficiently under physical demanding conditions, including walking daily on rough footing with a backpack. Able to live harmoniously in small groups, in remote field camps.
- Gets on well with others and has an excellent sense of humour.
The most Highly Qualified Candidates will possess:
- Fluency in one or more languages spoken in the Pacific.
- In-depth knowledge of multiple Pacific Island cultures and customs.
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills.
- A desire to learn to better themselves and seek increasingly larger organisational roles at IC.
- A desire to provide leadership to bring others together toward a common purpose of restoring islands.
- Experience leading a field team or supervising field staff or volunteers
- Hunting and trapping skills
- Ability and/or skills in standard survey techniques (birds, mammals, plants).
- Excellent professional references around their technical and people skills.
How to Apply
Send your letter of interest and resume by email (with subject: “Island Restoration Specialist Pacific and your last name”) addressed to: email@example.com
The letter of interest must describe your personal and professional motivations to apply for the position and demonstrate how your skills and experience makes you the ideal candidate for the position.
Applications close when a suitable candidate is appointed.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.