Website EcoQuest Education Foundation
The EcoQuest Education Foundation Te Rarangahau Taiao (EcoQuest) is seeking a full-time lecturer for our programme based at our field centre in Whakatīwai/Kaiaua. This is a fixed-term relieving position, from Monday 17 January to Friday 3 June 2022 (20 weeks).
Applications are invited from people who have a PhD, or other relevant graduate degree and equivalent professional experience, in environmental sciences. Our ideal candidate will be a terrestrial or coastal-marine ecologist who has a good working knowledge of resource management and environmental policy. The successful candidate will be an engaging and effective teacher/mentor of our undergraduate students from the United States of America.
Per annum salary is in the range of $60,000 to $70,000.
Essential Aspects and Important Skills for this role
- enjoy motivating and enabling students through effective teaching at tertiary level
- have proven abilities in research, and in supervising student research.
- have significant experience in ecological field work, survey techniques and data analysis
- have significant experience in delivering field studies in ecology and /or other environmental studies at undergraduate level or above
- have a commitment to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and be willing and able to work within Te Ao Māori
- maintain effective, positive, and professional working relationships with students, colleagues, external collaborators, and partners
- have a full driver licence and be willing to transport students on field trips.
Delivery sites for the programme are throughout New Zealand.
The ability to be away on field trips with students and field staff for periods of up to two weeks, is an absolute requirement.
Important qualities and experiences for applicants to bring to the role
- a proven ability to operate in a dynamic interdisciplinary team with a focus on applied field studies
- proven organisational and time management skills
- a willingness to be involved in the development of EcoQuest as a sustainable learning community
- a willingness to be involved in areas outside the applicant’s own fields of expertise.
EcoQuest is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
EcoQuest operates a Centre for Field Studies in Ecology, Resource Management and Environmental Policy. We deliver programmes to undergraduate students from the United States of America, in partnership with the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of New Hampshire.
EcoQuest is a Charitable Entity under the Charities Act 2005. It is registered with the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) as a Private Training Establishment, and current programmes are approved and accredited by NZQA. EcoQuest is a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021. See our latest NZQA external evaluation and review here: https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/providers/details.do?providerId=825549001
EcoQuest has a dual focus of education and research. This, coupled with a strong emphasis on and commitment to community engagement, provides students with opportunities for learning through applied, real-time engagements and research. Rigorous academic pursuit and hands-on learning are embedded in community, providing exciting, genuine, and place-based education and outreach experiences.
EcoQuest strives for sustainability through holistic practice, aligned closely with Te Ao Māori, in which tangata-people are part of te taiao rāua ko ahurea tuariki-the natural and social environments. To be sustainable acknowledges that diversity in all aspects of life, enriches all our lives and understanding.
How to Apply
Given that this position is for 20 weeks only, and that in response to COVID-19 the New Zealand Government has imposed border restrictions, we can only welcome applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates who currently reside in Aotearoa.
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Jono Clark (Director). Subject: Vacancy/Lecturer/Application.
Please provide a CV and cover letter with your application.
Applications close: 5.00pm Friday 5 November 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.