- Working with undergraduate students
- Sound grounding in NZ ecology
- Work in a team that embraces manaakitanga
EcoQuest is looking for a dynamic, experienced person to support the delivery of our academic field study programmes. We offer two semester-long programmes and one five-week programme in ecology, resource management and environmental policy to undergraduate students from the U.S. Our residential field centre is in Whakatiwai (an hour south-east of Auckland), and from there we make frequent and often extended field trips to both terrestrial and marine environments throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.
There are four main parts to the role of program assistant/field leader. They are to:
- provide logistical support to the programme;
- in a team setting, facilitate the day-to-day activities;
- in a team setting, look after the well-being of students (pastoral care).
- give instruction and guidance in technical skills required for students to carry out field work;
We are seeking someone with an undergraduate degree in environmental sciences or closely related field, who has a proven experience in group leadership and management in the outdoors, preferably with young adults.
Ideally, the successful applicant will have the following strengths:
- proven ability in fostering healthy group dynamics;
- ability to work effectively and supportively in a team;
- comfortable working within Te Ao Māori;
- efficient, practical and organised;
- confident, safe driver (vans and trailers);
- experience in a variety of field skills and ecological monitoring techniques;
- sound knowledge of biota of Aotearoa New Zealand;
- ability to give guidance or instruction in general outdoor safety, basic kayaking, and snorkelling to enable students to carry out field work (not outdoor pursuits);
- sound working knowledge of current risk management practices;
- current outdoor first aid certificate;
- interest in education for sustainability;
- sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
We seek applicants who are keen to join an interdisciplinary team working and living with undergraduate students. You must be prepared to be away from home for extended periods, and to work some weekends.
The hours for the position vary week to week based on the programme schedule, and negotiable between 60% and full-time. Onsite shared accommodation is available.
EcoQuest Education Foundation is registered as a Charitable Entity. Current programmes are offered in partnership with the University of New Hampshire (USA) www.ecoquest.co.nz .
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Please provide a CV along with a cover letter in your application. In the information you supply, please ensure points on the Employment Application Form are answered.
Please forward applications to:
EcoQuest Education Foundation
1204 East Coast Road; RD 3 Pokeno 2473
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Vacancy/Programme Assistant-Field Leader/Application.
Applications close: 5.00 pm Friday 2nd November 2018.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.