Website Department of Conservation
The Rakiura team are looking a dedicated field ranger to join our Tiakina Ngā Manu project to aid in the recovery of the critically endangered New Zealand Dotterel. The position is a six-month seasonal contract running for the next two years between August and February.
He angitūtanga: About the Role
The main focus of the role will be pest animal control using various toxins and trapping methods, and infrastructure establishment and maintenance in the run up to and during the Dotterel breeding season.
You will also be monitoring bird behaviour, nest searching, assisting with bird banding, trap building and deployment, band combination resightings and assist in emergency responses for situations such as wildfires and marine mammal stranding events.
He kōrero mōu: What we are looking for
We are looking for a reliable self-motivated team player who has the following skills:
- Has ability to lead teams safely to complete given tasks
- Be comfortable working in remote areas for up to ten days at a time, sometimes on your own.
- Knowledge and/or experience in field delivery work
- Experience and in working with toxic baits and animal traps
- Accurate record keeping ability
- Good level of fitness
- Valid Full NZ Drivers Licence with the ability to drive manual transmission vehicles is desirable
- Current First Aid certificate
- Firearms licence is desirable
- Controlled Substances Licence for sodium fluroacetate (1080) is highly desirable
- Good communication skills and an ability to get on with people
- Familiarity with GPS navigation
- Basic computer skills (word, excel) is desirable
- An ability to work unsupervised in remote locations
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What’s in it for you?
A fantastic supportive and collaborative working environment. Being the multiple award winner of the most attractive employer in the public sector (and second overall) with an average turnover beyond 10 years, we know people generally really enjoy working with us!
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory – this includes holding a valid work visa that covers the whole period of employment.
Please apply online via the DOC Careers Centre with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements above.
For any enquiry, please contact Daniel Lee, email@example.com,nz, or telephone (027)5702387.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 13 July 2020.
DOC is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture.
To apply for this job please visit careers.doc.govt.nz.