Website Department of Conservation
Are you someone who loves the outdoors, has a lot of practical and technical skills, and enjoys working with people? If yes, then this is the job for you.
As a Takahē/Kākāpō Ranger you will be joining our dedicated team, carrying out critical conservation work for takahē.
The purpose of your role is to support the team in implementing the Takahē Recovery work programme at takahē sites nationally and will involve shared tasking at the Burwood Takahē Centre, the hub of the threatened species programme. This role will include:
- Maintenance of infrastructure at the Burwood Takahē Centre, including the predator proof fences, trapping network, and buildings;
- Bird related tasks at Burwood, including takahē feeding, handling, fostering, and transfers;
- Assisting with supervision of temporary staff, contractors, and volunteers as required; and
- Supporting the Kākāpō Recovery Programme on priority work, particularly during a kākāpō breeding season.
We are looking for a responsible and reliable team player, who is passionate about New Zealand conservation, and who has the following skills:
- knowledge and/or experience in threatened species husbandry (preferably avian);
- a good knowledge of New Zealand conservation and its challenges;
- good communication skills and proven experience working in a small team of staff and/or volunteers;
- excellent logistical skills and a proven eye for detail; and
- able to work independently, and effectively prioritise work tasks.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory, including a valid work visa covering the whole period of employment if applying internationally.
Please apply online. Applications must include a cover letter, CV and evidence of the required capabilities as per the role description.
For any queries, please contact Nichollette Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting vacancy 400/8565.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 12 November 2018
DOC is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture.