Website Department of Conservation
This is a fixed term role for 2 years
Are you someone who would like to be involved in an ambitious and rewarding project, has experience in animal pest control, a high level of fitness and enjoys working in the backcountry? If yes, then this is the job for you.
We have a vacancy in the team undertaking Project Janszoon-related biodiversity pest control work based in the Department’s Motueka Office. The focus of this position is to carry out animal pest control in Abel Tasman National Park. We need someone who has a high level of physical fitness, has a willingness to learn, and who is comfortable living and working in remote backcountry settings.
The successful applicant will be required to;
- complete pest abundance monitoring with tracking tunnels and other methods,
- service the stoat trap network across the project site,
- maintain infrastructure within the project site,
- assist with plant pest monitoring and control when required,
- assist with other biodiversity duties as and when required.
We are looking for a team player who is not afraid of hard work, and who has the following skills;
- the ability to work well in a small team,
- proven backcountry experience, working/travelling alone off track in forested terrain,
- a knowledge of animal pest control methods,
- a good basic knowledge of conservation,
- the ability to stay away from home when required,
- an above average level of fitness,
- a valid driver’s licence,
- a current First Aid certificate.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory, including a valid work visa covering the whole period of employment if applying internationally.
Please apply online (at careers.doc.govt.nz). Applications must include a cover letter, CV and evidence of the required capabilities as per the project description.
For any queries, please contact Jim Livingstone, firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 027 202 9563, quoting vacancy 400/5410T.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 12 November 2018.
DOC is committed to a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture.