Nelmac and the Kūmānu Environmental division provide conservation contracting services in the top of the South Island.
We are currently seeking applications for a permanent full-time Senior Conservation Ranger position based in Nelson. Our Rangers largely work in reserves carrying out a range of conservation activities including pest plant control, habitat restoration and maintenance of tracks and other reserve facilities.
Your main role will be having responsibility for leading and working with a small team as part of the five-year Maitai River Ecological Restoration project. This includes basic training/induction, quality control, field data collection and working towards key contract outcomes. This role requires a good level of physical fitness and strength sufficient for heavy lifting and carrying. You will need to plan and use appropriate herbicides, and work with a range of hand tools and light machinery, including chainsaws and scrub bars. You will be outdoors in all weather and on variable terrain.
The successful applicant will ideally have the following skills, and attributes:
- Growsafe and First-Aid certificates
- Four-wheel drive and digger experience would be an advantage (WTR preferable)
- Experience using hand tools, knapsacks and light machinery (with relevant NZQA credits)
- Experience in selection and use of appropriate plant pest control methods, including high competency in pest plant/native plant identification
- Experience and capability to lead and inspire small teams
- Ability to plan and prioritise work and monitor outputs and quality
- Basic fencing and building experience would be an advantage
- ArcGIS or similar application-based field data collection capability
- A high level of health and safety engagement
- An affinity with Te Reo Māori would also be advantageous.
If you have a genuine passion for enhancing the natural environment, this is a great opportunity to progress your career. We are committed to upskilling and developing staff and place a strong emphasis on health and safety. If successful, you will actively engage in our harm prevention culture.
Please note that applicants must have a current full drivers’ licence (including being able to drive a manual vehicle), NZ residency/citizenship or a valid NZ work visa and will be required to undergo pre-employment medical and drug screening, and ACC checks.
How to apply
Please submit your application online via https://www.nelmac.co.nz/careers
For a copy of the position description, or if you have any issues regarding submitting your application please email: TLNT@nelmac.co.nz
If you have any role specific questions, please contact: Mark Solly, Contracts Manager – Conservation & Arboriculture, M: 021 548 524
All applications will be treated in confidence.
Don’t delay – applications close Sunday 11 October 2020 (unless filled prior).
To apply for this job please visit nelmac.elmotalent.com.au.