Website Department of Conservation
Are you passionate about the conservation of New Zealand’s natural flora and fauna, skilled in biodiversity management and up for a challenge?
We are seeking a highly motivated and suitably qualified person to join our team as the Senior Ranger Biodiversity at the Raukapuka/Geraldine District office.
The Raukapuka/Geraldine District extends from the Rakaia river in the north to the Waitaki river in the south. The district runs from the top of the main divide right out to the coast. It covers large areas of conservation lands & waters including biodiversity hotspots such as the braided river beds, O Tu Wharekai (Ashburton basin wetlands) and large areas of significant tussock/scrub lands.
You will have leadership responsibilities including the planning and authorisation of our work programmes relating to:
- threatened species management;
- ecosystem restoration;
- animal and plant pest control work programmes;
The successful applicant will have:
- relationship management skills,
- project/contract management and budget management skills,
- a natural heritage or conservation management qualification or suitable experience in these fields,
- extensive experience in the practical management of flora and fauna is essential,
- specialist experience or qualifications in either freshwater, pest control or threatened plants and/or species,
- Experience in operating online system software i.e. SAP, ArcGIS, DOCGIS, DOC Business Planning Software,
- Skills in coaching, training and supporting staff and the acquisition of technical knowledge,
- ability to work and build successful relationships with Iwi, Whanau & Hapu to sustain and grow conservation,
- ability to work and build successful relationships and partnerships with the community, stakeholders, business and local government,
- Skills and experience in working collaboratively with others to deliver and achieve conservation outcomes,
You may be required to stay away overnight, work outside normal hours and/or during weekends. It is essential to have a very strong commitment to health and safety.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory, including a valid work visa covering the whole period of employment if applying internationally.
Please see the applicant information sheet for more role specific information.
Please apply online. Applications must include a cover letter, CV and evidence of the required capabilities as per the role description.
For more information please contact Duncan Toogood, email@example.com , cell phone 027 702 4576, quoting vacancy 400/7310.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 19 November 2018.
DOC is committed to diversity in its workforce and an inclusive workplace culture.
To apply for this job please visit careers.doc.govt.nz.